In a scathing attack on Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, veteran party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad Friday wrote a letter to party president Sonia Gandhi, Azad, who quit all party posts, said the situation in the Congress has reached a point of “no return”.
Saying that a coeterie is taking all the decisions, Azad said Rahul Gandhi “demolished” the consultative mechanism in the party ever since he took over.
Here are the key points from Azad’s resignation letter:
- After the entry of Shri Rahul Gandhi into politics and particularly after January, 2013 when he was appointed as Vice President by you, the entire consultative mechanism which existed earlier was demolished by him. All senior and experienced leaders were sidelined and a new coterie of inexperienced sycophants started running the affairs of the Party.
- One of the most glaring examples of this immaturity was the tearing up of a government ordinance in the full glare of the media by Shri Rahul Gandhi. The said ordinance was incubated in the Congress Core Group and subsequently unanimously approved by the Union Cabinet presided over by the Prime Minister of India and duly approved even by the President of India. ‘This ‘childish’ behaviour completely subverted the authority of the Prime Minister and Government of India.
- Since the 2019 elections, the situation in the party has only worsened. After Sh. Rahul Gandhi stepped down in a huff and not before insulting all the senior Party functionaries who have given their lives to the party in a meeting of the extended Working Committee, you took over as interim President.
- Worse still the ‘remote control model’ that demolished the institutional integrity of the UPA government now got applied to the Indian National Congress. While you are just a nominal figurehead all the important decisions were being taken by Shri Rahul Gandhi or rather worse his security guards and PAs.
- Unfortunately, the situation in the Congress party has reached such a point of no return that now ‘proxies are being propped up to take over the leadership of the Party. This experiment is doomed to fail because the Party has been so comprehensively destroyed that situation has become irretrievable.